Thursday, June 7, 2012

Outward Bound Lumut Malaysia (10/5 – 19/5) Part III

(...continued from previous post)

Then, it was time for whaling!

Whaling

Another major group expedition after jungle trekking. Since I skipped out on that one, I wanted to be able to join this actively.

Whaling got its name from the activity of people going out to sea in big ships to hunt for whales in previous centuries.
Their team spirit was crucial in order to survive through the waves and thunderstorm so this boat rowing activity is now adopted into a teambuilding exercise, thus the name.

 Discussing our respective roles on board and our strategies the night before,
at the dining hall

We needa whale around the entire Pangkor island!

There were 3 sails on the boat, namely main sail, jeep sail, and mizzen sail. Lots of rope tying were involved to set them up.
8 oars with 4 on portside (left) and starboard side (right).
We also need someone to navigate the steering at the bow (front) and someone to stay at the stern (back) to control the mizzen sail in order to capture the wind as well as to sink the anchor when we stop.

I shared an oar with Ima, who was the tiniest in our group lol.
We made a great team in rowing.
Halfway through the journey, many got seasick, including her. So Fatin replaced her position next to me. I couldn’t stand her half-hearted attempt in rowing (though it could be due to her feeling slight seasick but still) so I took a break before continuing rowing with Tasya this time.


 Group pic on board!
It's actually quite crowded, as there were 14 of us + camping equipment + food 

Tasya was truly strong spirited. She kept going and started singing, when the sun was scorching and we were stuck in the waves.
To keep myself from giving in to seasick and exhaustion, I sang along with her as well. (I hoped we cheered the team to keep going, or annoyed them so we could get there faster lol.) 
There were many versions of counting and chanting.

Dip, pull, up! Dip, pull, up!
1, 2, 3 … ( in all languages)
1 little 2 little 3 little Indians….
and many other children’s songs Tasya taught me lol. 

 We've got Spiderman (Afendy) as captain. =D

At last, we arrived at the beach campsite. As I didn’t have a watch, I was quite surprised to know that we had been rowing for 7 and half hours straight, without stopping the boat to eat or rest.
We were 2nd in place to reach. The other 2 boats had to be towed to the beach as it was getting dark and they were stuck in the waves.
We are proud of ourselves! Haha. 

Our camp at the beach

After we set up the camp, the guys started heading to the sea with the lifejackets. But I wanted to go too!
I am a coward when it comes to sea ‘cause I feel very insecure just from standing ankle deep at the beach, feeling the sand slipping away from under my feet.
But now we have the lifejackets! What are we waiting for?!
Ok I need company. It’s all guys out there.

And company I got!
Izzati also wanted  to go so we  grabbed our lifejackets and walked all the way into the sea hahaha! 




It was fun!
So relaxing to be floating on my back without a thing to worry about…
watching sunset while drifting in the sea… watching the boys attacking each other lol…

Washing ourselves clean from the saltwater afterwards with the only well
(yes perigi) we had there would be troublesome but it was worth it. =D

That night was a sandy night.
Sand got in everywhere: on our clothes, in our shoes, tents and dry bags.
But it was a cooling night. All the guys except Daren (whose skin will peel off when in contact with sand) slept on a tentsheet under the stars, literally. 

Lynyen, I finally saw the stars which we didn’t get to see in Cherating.
Lots of them, like tiny diamonds splattered in the sky. It was beautiful. =)

Rowing back the next morning was slightly tiring  ‘cause of the sun shining directly in my face and I didn't know all the malay songs they were singing. But luckily we reached within an hour and half. (today's was ‘sesaran’, compared to the ‘whaling around the entire Pangkor island’ yesterday)

After the usual washing up of all equipments and ourselves AND my dirty laundry, it was time to gather again.

The thing I got so tired of doing throughout the 10 days was probably hand-washing my clothes EVERY DAY.
Omg it’s SO tiring, especially after coming back from exerting expeditions.
Waiting for your turn at the sink (limited), washing it standing, finding a place to hang (limited) etc.
I didn’t miss my parents, but I DID miss my washing machine. >.<


Moments

We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Throughout the 10 days, all IT gadgets like handphones, Ipod, books, cigarettes and alcohol were confiscated. We were to fully focus on the activities, on each other, on now.
I think that was a good move, as people are often way too distracted by all these things that they don’t fully appreciate each other’s company and the present as much as they should.
Now that the only thing we have is each other, we bonded fast.  

There were many little moments that we have spent together, between activities and during activities, which will remain treasured in my memory.


our usual hangout spot: under the trees near the beach

While waiting for the gathering time, we sat together on the grass near the beach, guessing many stupid but funny teka- teki, in the warm afternoon breeze, and while watching amazingly beautiful sunsets...
p/s: I’ve learnt a lot lol.
For future reference:

(ini ape game, ini berapa game, cross-uncross, buka-tutup, bang bang who dies, count sheep game) 



Every evening we're blessed with magnificent sunset views
(well except the 3 nights when we went for camping)

Dawn...I guess?


Trying to get ourselves relatively clean, by the almost stagnant stream in the forest, and around a well... Don’t forget the 360 degrees view toilet.

Falling unexpectedly into the sea and getting saltwater in the eyes (which can be irritating)...

Getting sugar high together from consuming glucose, to continue rowing for hours...

Always trying to push ourselves harder, just a little bit more,
a little bit more to reach where we wanted to go...


And what made this outward bound course complete was, it was not just a series of purely physical activities. 

sharing session after solo camping


Afendy always sit us in a circle, playing random games, getting us to share our emotions, what we’ve learnt, how we can improve ourselves and how we think others could improve, and of course, his thoughts as well. 


  

 On the last night, we had a BBQ party with performance from each team.
Our team's responsibilities for the night was to barbeque the food
(which the guys did) so we don't needa clean up afterwards! Haha. 


I am really glad that I went to this OBS. =)
It’ll remind me to not be afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone, every once in awhile.


And not to forget to keep applying insect repellant at the beach, despite being all sandy!!
Their marks are still there on my arms and legs, even after 2 weeks. This is the 2nd time I kena, first was during Cherating trip.

I hate beach mosquitoes. =_=”


p/s: All pics credited to Anuar, Kent, and Ivan.
Most of us didn't bring camera. Thanks to them we can recall our moments together with these nice photos =)


No comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Where Memories are Shared.... Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator